Report Concerns

The well-being and safety of local people is our main concern and we adopt a zero tolerance stance on the abuse, neglect or discrimination of any person but particularly people at risk or in vulnerable situations in whatever setting.

There is good partnership working at the local level when concerns are raised and services work together effectively to ensure a co-ordinated approach.  Any suspicion of abuse or neglect should be reported either to the Hampshire Adult Services on 0300 555 1386 (0300 555 1373 for Out of Hours) or the police on 101.  In an emergency and if it is suspected someone is in immediate danger, 999 should always be called.


What will happen next?

If you report concerns because you suspect that a vulnerable adult is being abused or you are being abused yourself:

  • You will be listened to and your concerns will be taken seriously.
  • Your concerns will be looked into fully and fairly.
  • You will be involved in decision making and trained staff will work with you to stop the abuse and agree with you steps to protect you from further harm.
  • You will get advice about the help and support available.

Further information and advice

HSAB has worked with partners to develop a range of publicity and information. It can be found on our Engaging Hampshire Communities page.

Other organisations that can help

Care Quality Commission (CQC)

If you are concerned about possible abuse or neglect in a residential, hospital or domiciliary care service, you can contact to CQC at or by using the CQC on-line alert form


Whistleblowing helpline

The national Whistleblowing Helpline provides free help and advice to people who witness or have cause to suspect wrong doing at work but are not sure whether or hoe to raise their concern. They can be contacted as follows:

Telephone: 08000 724725



Whistleblowing Helpline


Other concerns

If you have concerns about other things the following links may help:

Welfare of a child

Residential & Nursing Care

NHS service

Anti-social behaviour

Fire safety

Hate crime


Organisations that provide advice, help and support

The following organisations can provide advice and support:

Hourglass (formerly Action on Elder Abuse)

Helpline 0808 808 8141

Age UK (previously known as Age Concern and Help the Aged)

Ann Craft Trust

ACT supports the statutory, independent and voluntary sectors from across the UK to protect disabled children and vulnerable adults.

Carers Together

Carers Together offers a variety of services including; advocacy, help with filling in benefit forms, a personal support service in the home, planning for emergencies and applying for Direct Payments. Tel: 01794 579495 (office hours) CALL Helpline (Carers Active Listening Line) 0800 0323456 

icn_web   Hampshire Care Association

HCA is made up of care providers of residential, nursing, learning disability and mental health  homes across Hampshire. Its goal is to ensure that care provision in Hampshire is of the highest standard and quality and that those requiring care receive it with dignity and compassion. Tel: 023 8025 5794 (for member advice)

icn_web   Rape Crisis

On this website you will find information about rape and other forms of sexual violence, and details of your nearest Rape Crisis Centre if you are looking for support. There is also information for family and friends of sexual violence survivors, students and professionals. Freephone helpline: 0808 802 9999

icn_web   Relative and Residents Association

This organisation exists to support and inform residents, families and friends to find out all they need to know about residential care and to help them if things go wrong. Additionally, they speak out on behalf of a sector who cannot always speak out for themselves. Helpline: 020 7359 8136


Respond works with children and adults with learning disabilities who have experienced abuse or trauma, as well as those who have abused others, through psychotherapy, advocacy, campaigning and other support. Respond also aims to prevent abuse by providing training, consultancy and research. Helpline: 0808 808 0700

icn_web   Solicitors for the Elderly

Solicitors for the Elderly (SFE) is an independent, national organisation of lawyers, such as solicitors, barristers, and legal executives who provide specialist legal advice for older and vulnerable people, their families and carers.

icn_web   Survivors UK

The helpline is for adult men (18 and over) who have experienced childhood sexual abuse or adult sexual assault / rape, as well as their partners and carers. Helpline: 0845 122 1201

icn_web   Victim Support

Victim Support is the independent charity supporting victims and witnesses of crime in England and Wales.  Tel: 0845 3899 528  or contact