The HSAB has been made aware that Scammers are trying to take advantage of people’s worries and uncertainty about the pandemic, especially those who are alone, self-isolating or in financial difficulty within the Hampshire Area.
- The latest incident we have been made aware of is an older person being cold called from an individual claiming to be able to provide a COVID vaccine for a fee.
The NHS is the only organisation which has access to the vaccine, and will never ask for money. Medical or health professionals will not come to your home unannounced and without prior notification. If anyone attempts to force or coerce you into handing over funds – in person or otherwise – always contact the police.
Coronavirus-related scams include:
- Sales of fake products such as face masks, supplements, anti-virus kits and sanitisers, which may be harmful or simply never arrive
- Bogus healthcare workers who try to gain access to your home by claiming to offer testing for COVID-19
- People pretending to be from charities offering to do shopping or carry out cleansing tasks
- Emails asking for donations to the NHS.
The HSAB Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information Hub has information on where to get help and find out more information on COVID-19: https://www.hampshiresab.org.uk/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-public-and-professionals