Adult X died in summer 2009 of natural causes as a result of sudden death in epilepsy (SUDEP).The Serious Case Review found that there were a number of areas where services could be improved.
- The need for much improved communication and information sharing across agencies.
- A need for increased awareness of adult safeguarding was highlighted for almost all staff groups.
- Young people and vulnerable adults need to be placed at the centre of assessments and care plans and their views actively sought.
- A Transition Policy and Procedure is required for young adults moving from Children’s Services to Adult Services.
- A greater level of understanding across agencies is needed in relation to Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy (SUDEP) when working with individuals who experience epilepsy.